NIM Immigration Lawyers Spain

Portada » News and Guide » How to get a student visa for Spain

How to get a student visa for Spain

In this article we are going to talk about how to get a student visa for Spain.
First of all, you must know that to apply for this type of visa, you must have been previously admitted to study at an institution in Spain.

The studies can be higher or not higher and the duration of the visa will be the same as the duration of the course.

Previously the maximum length of the visa was 1 year, which could then be renewed, but with the new reform of the law on foreigners this has changed.
Now you can get a
visa as a student in Spain for a maximum of 2 years. Read on if you are interested in finding out more about this.  

Applying for a student visa while in Spain

You can apply for a student visa while you are in Spain or while you are in your home country. This means that there are two possible ways to apply for this type of visa. If you are in Spain at the time you want to apply, you must apply through the Immigration Office in the province where you are going to study. On the other hand, if we want to apply when we are in our country of origin, we must apply for the visa through the Spanish Embassy or Consulate. 

It is important to bear in mind that in order to apply for a student visa while in Spain we must be in a regular situation.


What does this mean?

It means that foreigners who can enter without a visa, which means, as tourists only with their passport, must submit the application before they have 30 days left as a tourist. This means that they must submit the application within 60 days of their arrival in the country.

This would be the case for nationals from for example the United States, Argentina, Brazil, United Kingdom, Colombia, etc… all those countries that do not need a visa to enter Spain. They can buy their ticket, arrive in Spain as tourists, and once they are here they will have to present their application to the Foreigners’ Office during the first 60 days

How much bank balance is required for spain student visa

The minimum bank balance required for a Spain student visa is €600 per month of study. This amount is calculated based on the Spanish Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM), which is updated annually. For 2024, the IPREM is €600.00 per month.

To show that you can cover your expenses while staying in Spain, you’ll have to share bank statements proving you maintain a minimum balance of €600 per month in your account. Make sure these statements are from the last 3 months before you apply for your visa.

Additionally, you might need extra documents, like a sponsorship letter from a family member or employer, to support your financial situation.

Here is a table showing the minimum bank balance required for Spain student visas for different lengths of stay:

Lenght of StayMinimun Bank Balance
1 month600 €
2 month1,200 €
3 month1,800 €
6 months3,600 €
9 months5,400€
12 months7,200€

Please note that these are just minimum requirements, and you may need to show more money if you have other expenses, such as travel or accommodation. It is always best to overshoot the minimum requirement so that you have plenty of funds to support yourself while you are studying in Spain.

Renewing your student visa in Spain

Many of you are wondering if it is possible to renew your student visa in Spain, the answer is yes. However, in order to be able to renew it, you must continue your studies or enroll in a new course, as long as they are related. 

With the reform of the law approved at the end of the summer, those who have enrolled for a 2-year degree will now be granted with a new long-term student visa, the duration of which may be up to 2 years.

This is the new maximum limit, therefore, if our studies last 2 years or less we do not have to worry about renewing our visa at the Foreigners’ Office after 1 year. 
On the other hand, if the studies last more than 2 years, then we will have to renew the visa once it expires. 

Apply for your Student Visa today

Start Now!

Requirements for renewal of Spain study visa

In order to extend the study visa, it is necessary to meet the same requirements as for the initial visa

The main requirement is to have passed your studies, therefore, you must have passed the first course in order for the Foreigners’ Office to grant you the extension and for you to be able to enroll for the second course. The same applies if we change our studies and sign up for a new course. 

We must always provide a certificate that we have passed the initial course. If you have signed up for a new course, it must be in the same field of knowledge, because if the studies are not related, the Foreigners’ Office may refuse to renew your visa. 

What about the Spain student visa health insurance

Among other requirements, it is also essential to maintain the same conditions of the private health insurance in order to extend the student visa. In Spain, some companies offer special rates for these cases, such as “Aon Student Insurance”. 

In the renewal, as in the first application, it is very important to meet all the requirements meticulously, especially those mentioned above. Otherwise, we risk being denied the student visa application in Spain.

Spain student visa rejection rate

In general, it’s estimated that the rejection rate of student visa applications is 3%, compared to a success rate of over 95% in these procedures.

One of the advantages of renewing a student visa is that it can be done in Spain without having to return to the country of origin. 

This means that whether you initially applied for the student visa through the Spanish Consulate in your home country or if you did so while you were already in Spain, the renewal can be processed directly in Spain through the Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de Extranjería).